Jul 10, 2012

breakfast Chai

/chai served in fancy mug which I got from mom - it looks as if borrowers will come climbing by the side, borrowing drops of chai, any minute. I love the borrower-ish look and I have set of two of these beauties/

there are lots of recipes for chai concentrate out there on pinterest. I've decided to make my own with the ingredients we had at home - improvising a little and it turned out well.

2 teaspoons of black Kenyan tangawizi tea (original recipe called for 2 bags of black tea which we didn't have)
1 cinnamon stick broken into smaller pieces
1teaspoon ground ginger (originally one slice of fresh ginger)
1tablespoon of Lyle's golden syrup (or honey - we were surprisingly out of honey!)
1.5 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 black peppers
6 cloves

mix everything but sirup and  add 2 cups of water and let boil for 5 minutes. Mix in the sirup and let simmer for another 5 minutes. cool completely and store in glass jar/bottle in your fridge.
In theory it should keep for about a week - it lasted two days as I couldn't stop making chai until it was all gone.
Tastes like breakfast Chai from my africa if you mix it with piping hot raw milk or it can be nice ice cold summer refreshment if you use cold milk and a couple of ice cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment