May 19, 2013

3 and 1/2 months

this is how I look today...
I think the story of my dreadlocks deserves an update...and also, it would be nice to document the process - for future generations, you know...

basic facts:

*I've started them 31st january 2013 - night before exam - too tired from studying...
*used twist and rip method at first...later my friend fixed some of them with crochet hook...even later - I fixed some more with crochet hook... now I'm letting them be...
*I got some beads from Etsy and I'm in love with them.
*I do wash my hair - I can't believe people actually ask this...
*they are far from finished, it will take time for them to completely mature...but hey! it's a journey - right?
*I can't wait for them to grow longer...

I didn't see much change in them - over the past three months...but today I checked some older photos and wow -there's a huge difference...

* they got shorter and thicker

*less loose hair (doesn't look like it but it's true)

*some grew together, some unraveled and had to be done again

*I still have a bunch of regular hair - for about one dread - I'll fix that once I can use my hand again (keep reading )

< old photo (web-cam quality - sorry about that) -in the middle of the night when I've started them..


good advice - remember how I've started crocheting few years ago, made my first hat in one day and then couldn't use my right hand for next 3 days and my friends had to take notes at school because I couldn't even write - it hurt so much? - well, it turns out, if you try to crochet-hook-fix all of your dreads in one day (I didn't crochet /knit in a long time now with all the school) -same thing happens and you'll wake up at 5 in the morning because your hand will hurt a lot...note to self - take it slowly next time...

























maintenance? - not much... I need to separate them more often - especially after washing - it hurts like hell to rip them apart ... washing like normal hair...air drying... I don't palm-roll - some people say it helps... it didn't do much for me so I stopped..

I still have to get my friend to teach me how to crochet them properly - my method destroys fingers and doesn't do much to my hair :D

but overall it's been awesome so far..stay tuned for another update... some day in the future :P

1 comment:

  1. lookin good!

    my sis did home made dreadies, ended with a HUGE matted section in the back that I ended up cutting out. Yours are looking much better :D

    ReplyDelete